Perhaps the reason why the forces lecture is one of the most popular in the SciTech programme is because it is a perfect example of SciTech’s philosophy –
In this lecture children walk on a giant lever in order to demonstrate that one child can lift six others; One child rides “The Trolley of Doom!” to demonstrate the 6 things that can happen when a force is applied to an object; When time and weather permit, Ropes and pulleys are used to pull SciTech’s 4×4 vehicle and to involve all the children in a giant ‘Tug-
The forces lecture addresses some of the most important targets in the curriculum and using practical and physical experience, children will learn…
- A force is a push or a pull.
- Forces are measured in Newtons.
- What the experience of a Newton of force feels like.
- What the six possible effects from applying force to an object are.
- That forces can be controlled by holding them in balance.
- Force can be amplified using tools such as levers and pulleys.
- Why falling objects accelerate even though gravity is a constant force.
- Friction is a stopping force that has two components,