The States of Matter lecture lasts in the region of 90 minutes and is designed to be delivered to children in all year groups up to and including year 8. If necessary the lecture can be either condensed into approximately 70 minutes or extended to about 2 hours since the lecture invariably leads to a lively interactive question and answer session.
Children will be actively involved in a range of experiments during which they will become atoms & molecules and even temperatures on a living thermometer!
Besides witnessing the fascinating phenomena the various experiments demonstrate, the children are invited to participate in many other activities.
The lecture includes:
- A definition of the 3 states of matter.
- An understanding that air is a mixture of gases.
- An understanding of water vapour and humidity.
- A simple introduction to molecular structures.
- An insight into Cryogenics.
- A practical appreciation of Gas Pressure.
- A demonstration of some of the properties of Carbon Dioxide.
- An enthusiasm for science